This special SPUG meeting for Monday, 8 August 2005 will be held at 5:30 pm (PST) at the Amazon.com main offices.
mod_perl 2.0 supports all the mod_perl 1.0 features and brings a whole lot of new functionality such as protocol and filter handlers, improved configuration access, threads support, and much more. This tutorial will get you up to speed with the new features, in addition to reviewing the old ones.
Topics to be covered:
- Getting Your Feet Wet
- A quick introduction to mod_perl 2.0
- Protocol handlers
- HTTP request handlers
- Migrating from mod_perl 1.0 to 2.0
Stas Bekman is an open source developer, spending most of his time working on the ASF mod_perl project. He is an ASF member, online columnist, and a co-author of Practical mod_perl, published by O'Reilly Media, Inc.
Internet Access at Meeting
A link to the Internet will be provided at the meeting (provided you have suitable equipment). Tables, power strips, and Ethernet hubs will be available in limited quantity. 802.11g WiFi will be available. Please use the SSID: SPUG. The beacon will be broadcasting. No WEP/WPA. Please note that the provided network services are _not_ secure. As I'm sure most of you know, it is a trivial matter to "sniff" network traffic. Please use a secure application encryption protocol or other secure VPN solution to protect sensitive information. Use of the the provided network services is at your own risk. Be a good network citizen. The network services are provided gratis by our hosts. Access can be revoked at any time without prior notification.
PGP/GnuPG Key Exchange
If you want to exchange PGP/GnuPG signatures, please contact me directly with your public key (now!) and I'll bring fingerprint checklists for participants. Contact me if you want to know more. Oh, and you have to show up at the meeting to exchange ID's and all that, please. Otherwise this whole key exchange thing doesn't work.
Directions to Meeting
Our meeting will take place at the Amazon.com headquarters at 1200 12th Ave S, Seattle, Washington.
Please let me know if you find errors or a better route. Thanks.
I-5 (from North or South)
- On I-5, take the S Dearborn St exit and turn West on Dearborn (I-5 Southbound: turn right; I-5 Northbound: turn left) and proceed approximately one or two blocks.
- Turn right on 8th Ave S (the first light) and proceed North for three blocks.
- Turn right on S King St and proceed East for approximately five blocks. You will pass under I-5.
- Turn right on 12th Ave S and proceed South for approximately five blocks. Along this way, you will cross over the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge and you should see the Pac-Med tower directly ahead.
- At this point, notice that you have been going in a circle.
- Skip to Pac-Med Building below.
I-90 (from East)
- On I-90, take the Rainier Ave S (hwy 900) exit Northbound and proceed approximately six blocks.
- Turn left on S King St and proceed West for approximately two blocks.
- Turn left on 12th Ave S and proceed South for approximately five blocks. Along this way, you will cross over the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge and you should see the Pac-Med tower directly ahead.
Turn right at Charles St (the light after the bridge). The Amazon.com Pac-Med building is visible ahead and on the left as you make the turn and proceed South on Charles (Charles borders the West side of the building).
The North parking lot entrance will be the second drive way on the left (the first has a Do Not Enter sign). The parking lot is on the left just past the parking attendant booth. The "carpool only" spaces should be okay to park in after 6:30.
Walk to the South entrance of the tower. There is stair next to the parking garage structure that leads to a convenient path that goes around the building to the main entrance on the South side of the building.
Enter building and go to the security desk. Sign in and wait to be escorted to the meeting room (just like when we met at Safeco in the U-district, more or less).
Directions from Meeting
Getting Back Onto I-5 Southbound
Although there is an I-5 northbound exit at S Dearborn St, there is no entrance back onto southbound I-5 at Dearborn. So don't bother trying to simply go back the same way you came.
Exit the Pac-Med parking lot on the East side of building (this is Golf Dr S) and turn right. Bear left onto 15th Ave S (the right fork is 14th Ave S. Proceed approximately 1.5 miles. Turn right on S Spokane St and go down steep hill. Turn right at light and follow signs to I-5 southbound.
If you exit the Pac-Med parking lot on the West side of the building, turn right on 12th Ave S and then right again on Golf Dr S (the light is the one at the South end of the Dr. Jose P. Rizal bridge). Continue as above.
Technically, there's another way onto I-5 SB, but it involves some other crazy route that I'm not going to provide here.